At 5:20 PM -0600 9/11/07, Noel Stoutenburg wrote:
David W. Fenton wrote:
But type for music printing didn't die out until some time after 1800.

And some types of publications, at least choral octavos and music books such as hymnals, were typeset using moveable music type considerably later than that. The latest choral octavo I have seen set with musical type is a Novello anthem dating from about 1964; the latest example of a songbook printed with moveable type was a hymnal printed in 1952.

I find this hard to believe, although I can't say you're wrong. The operative characteristic of 16th and 17th century music from movable type is that each piece of type has not only the musical character but the 5 staff lines on it, so as you look across the page the staff lines are a little bit wavy rather than being absolutely straight. (Not true of Petrucci's earlier publications, which used a triple-impression method.) Are you referring to some different approach or modification of this technology? I've certainly never seen a Novello publication with those wavy staff lines.

John


--
John R. Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music
Blacksburg, Virginia, U.S.A 24061-0240
Vox (540) 231-8411  Fax (540) 231-5034
(mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
http://www.music.vt.edu/faculty/howell/howell.html
_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to