At 1:41 PM +0200 9/10/07, dc wrote:
I'm curious: wouldn't "music typesetting" in its original sense refer to music printed from movable type, as opposed precisely to engraving? In which case engraving would be closer than typesetting to what one does on the the computer.
Yes, and printing music from movable type is exactly how 16th century publishers did it, until the use of engraved copper plates came along--sometime in the 17th century, I would think.
But earlier in this thread, someone mentioned that "note setting" was comparable to "type setting." That hasn't been done, to my knowledge, in years. In the U.S., at least, and I suspect in Europe as well, text has been computer set for longer than music has been. (Yes, I limped through a period of using WordStar and the Commodore 64 in the early '80s!!)
And of course hand copying, while less prevalent today, has NEVER gone out of style and probably never will.
John -- John R. Howell Virginia Tech Department of Music Blacksburg, Virginia, U.S.A 24061-0240 Vox (540) 231-8411 Fax (540) 231-5034 (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]) http://www.music.vt.edu/faculty/howell/howell.html _______________________________________________ Finale mailing list [email protected] http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale
