On 22.09.2007 dhbailey wrote:
The only way that files will ever be truly convertible with complete perfection
and complete transparency in the process will be when the two companies sit
down and agree on a file format that both will use.  We know that will never
happen.

Well, I am not so sure. The only thing that has to happen is that Music XML becomes so sophisticated that it can display a score completely accurately, including layout, text, figured bass etc. Once that is established it is simply a matter of time when every music program will support it. Ideally there should also be a Music XML display application, which can print, play, and display music files. Then Music XML is going to be the standard for online publication of music.

I agree we are a long way away from that...

Johannes
--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de