On Nov 3, 2007, at 9:25 AM, dc wrote:

A few questions about endings (a quick look at a few published scores doesn't seem to give a definite answer):

1) I remember reading here that the final hook of the 1. ending shouldn't also be the initial hook of 2. But I notice that some scores do this. Are there any rules? If one does have both hooks, on what does one align them?


I usually try to align them with the first and second barlines of the double barline in the repeat, respectively. In other words, I leave the 2nd ending where it is and move the first ending hook a little left from the default. One thing I notice in newer versions of Finale is that the first ending hook and the second ending BEGINNING vertical line are not the same length! Arggh! I have to remember to set this in my default file so that I don't have to keep adjusting them. I also like them raised slightly so that they don't touch the staff (an old default used to have them touching; they seem to have fixed that now.)

Stone and Heussenstamm indicate repeats like this, though they don't mention any of this directly.


2) When the music goes on after 2., how long should the line above it be?


Mostly they like it to go to the end of the phrase (one or two measures, usually) but I find it perfectly understandable and readable only extending for ONE measure regardless of the length of the continuation of the phrase.


3) I have a piece with three endings, the second of which is a D.S. al fine. Should this ending have a closing hook?


I hesitate to weigh in on this, as I seldom use three endings, but I would put the hook, as it denotes the end of the music for the staff at that point. The non-hooked ending should only be used (IMHO) when the music is continuing on the same staff.

I have even seen continuing endings with hooks, but I don't recommend them.


4) Is there any way to tell Finale to add the hook in certain cases, or does this have to be adjusted by hand?

Not that I know of. I adjust these things at 400% view, so that I can get them right.

christopher



_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to