On Sat, November 3, 2007 8:25 am, dc wrote: > A few questions about endings (a quick look at a few published scores > doesn't seem to give a definite answer): > > 1) I remember reading here that the final hook of the 1. ending shouldn't > also be the initial hook of 2. But I notice that some scores do this. Are > there any rules? If one does have both hooks, on what does one align them? >
I align the ending hook of the first ending with the thinner of the two barlines of the repeat sign, so that there is the gap the width of the thicker barline to separate the two endings. > 2) When the music goes on after 2., how long should the line above it be? I normally make my endings the same number of measures, and if there is a D.S. or any other repeat which would go back to the measure following the second ending I always put the closing hook on that second ending to help the musician see where the music which is repeated begins. If there is no such D.S. or repeat I sometimes don't include the closing hook of the second ending. I make that second ending bracket extend to a logical phrasing place so that it will be easy in rehearsal to say something like "start in the measure immediately after the second ending. > > 3) I have a piece with three endings, the second of which is a D.S. al > fine. Should this ending have a closing hook? Yes. > > 4) Is there any way to tell Finale to add the hook in certain cases, or > does this have to be adjusted by hand? No automatic way which I have found, although given my history of ignorance with the plug-ins, there may be something hidden in there that I haven't found, but I doubt it since they removed the repeats plug-ins and made them menu items. ======= David H. Bailey [EMAIL PROTECTED] _______________________________________________ Finale mailing list [email protected] http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale
