On Nov 27, 2007, at 12:24 AM, Chuck Israels wrote:

Hello all,

I seem to remember that there was some advice (maybe from Chistopher) about dealing with corrupted files. I am working on a piece that has been entered into one of my templates (template OK to start with) from another person's computer. There was file corruption evident in the original - on the other computer - trouble copying from place to place (even vertically) - erratic, sometimes it worked, sometimes it crashed Finale, and it is hard to spot what will work and what won't.

Now this erratic behavior has migrated to the new file, and it sometimes appears in staves that weren't even in the original file (it's a JJ Johnson arr, for 5 trombones now being expanded to a big band).

Is there a reliable way to deal with this problem?

Reliable? No.

The first thing I try is quit and restart Finale. Sometimes erratic behaviour cures itself.

Next is try to identify the measure where the problem FIRST shows up. Copy the music from that point to a fresh temporary file, then delete all the measures. The idea here is that once the corruption has started, it leaks into succeeding measures, which I have often found is the case.

Copying the entire contents to another file is the last step. If the problem comes with the contents, then I am out of ideas. However, sometimes the problem shows up a second time, more or less by coincidence, and copying to yet another fresh file can cure it.

Dennis B.K. had another post on the subject that I thought I kept, but I can't find it. He had a intermediate step that saved some material and seemed more secure, but it is lost now. Dennis?

Christopher

(I haven't tried this one, but maybe exporting to XML and re- importing will filter out the corruption. There are some other things that are likely to be lost, but it beats re-entering the whole work.)


_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to