> -----Original Message-----
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] 
> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jari Williamsson
> Sent: 11 December 2007 20:56
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: [Finale] Question About Proper Notation
> 
> 
> Jacki Barineau wrote:
> 
> > I'm notating a song in 6/8 time and in one spot it has syncopated
> > rhythm, and I'm not sure which way is the proper way to notate it!  
> > There are 4 notes in the measure, each getting 1.5 counts - 
> would this 
> > be portrayed with 4 dotted-eighth notes?  Or would you do 
> dotted-eighth, 
> > 16th-tied-to-8th, dotted-eighth, 16th-tied-to-8th?
> 
> My vote is for 4 quarter notes as 2-plets.
> 
> 
> Best regards,
> 
> Jari Williamsson



My vote, too.  For some reason, dotted quavers looks far less intuitive,
at least to my eye.

As a conciliatory mention, however, I'm pretty sure I've seen them used
by Britten, perhaps in Noye's Fludde and/or St Nicholas.  Or perhaps
they were pairs of dotted crotchets in 3/4 bars.  Either way, I did a
double-take the first time I saw them.  (As an aside to this aside,
however, and given the two pieces I mention, this might also tie in with
the way he sometimes wrote things that children seem to find easier than
adults...I've sometimes wondered whether it's that even our first glance
over-analyses some things.  If it's part of a rhythmic augmentation or
diminution, then it's the perfectly logical thing to write...)

In the course of writing all that, I'm perhaps reconsidering my initial
answer to the question.  I've spent plenty of time with Ferneyhough
scores, and tuplet brackets are second nature.  Depending on who the
audience is, it's possible that two 2:3 brackets within a 6/8 bar might
actually be the more difficult thing to interpret by the player.
Perhaps.  But don't blame me ;)

Owain

No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition. 
Version: 7.5.503 / Virus Database: 269.17.1/1181 - Release Date:
11/12/2007 17:05
 


_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to