David: as so often, I marvel at your knowledge.
I'm on DSL.
As previously stated, I don't have this problem with any other servers to
which my e-mail is directed. The <only> other similar instance: my ISP
(Sierratel) was briefly tagged a few years ago as a spam sourcer by AOL and
all STI clients were blocked BY AOL under the situation was resolved.
Other than that, I dunno.....and can only ask patience from those who may
(for some reason) be perturbed when those tags are added to my subject lines
by the shsu server. And just be pleased - all around - that I post to the
list fairly infrequently!
Best, and thanks again for your analysis, David --
Les
Les Marsden
Founding Music Director and Conductor,
The Mariposa Symphony Orchestra
Music and Mariposa? Ahhhhh, Paradise!!!
http://arts-mariposa.org/symphony.html
http://www.geocities.com/~jbenz/lesbio.html
----- Original Message -----
From: David W. Fenton
To: [email protected]
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2007 12:18 PM
Subject: Re: [Finale] OT: Subject line additions
On 14 Dec 2007 at 9:55, Mariposa Symphony Orchestra wrote:
It seems far more likely to me (FWIW) that somehow the shsu.edu server
added
the {Fraud?} {Disarmed} crap out of some whim, capricious or not....
It is, in fact, the SHSU servers that are adding it, so far as I can
tell. But it's adding it only to your messages, so far as my trash
can demonstrates. Here are the headers that are showing up in your
emails:
12/11 - {Fraud?} {Disarmed} Re: {Fraud?} {Disarmed} Re: [Finale]
Question About Proper Notation
X-Greylist: Delayed for 00:10:09 by milter-greylist-3.1.4
(mail2.shsu.edu [158.135.1.173]); Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:44:22
-0600 (CST)
12/11 - {Fraud?} {Disarmed} Fw: [Finale] Question About Proper
Notation
X-Greylist: IP, sender and recipient auto-whitelisted, not delayed by
milter-greylist-4.0 (lnxrac2.shsu.edu [158.135.1.69]);
Tue, 11 Dec 2007 15:33:05 -0600 (CST)
12/11 - {Fraud?} {Disarmed} Re: [Finale] Question About Proper
Notation
X-Greylist: Delayed for 00:10:10 by milter-greylist-4.0
(lnxrac2.shsu.edu [158.135.1.69]); Tue, 11 Dec 2007 15:22:14
-0600 (CST)
11/5 - {Fraud?} {Disarmed} Re: [Finale] mp3
X-Greylist: Delayed for 00:10:10 by milter-greylist-4.0
(lnxrac2.shsu.edu [158.135.1.69]); Mon, 05 Nov 2007 10:12:36
-0600 (CST)
I have no idea why you're being "greylisted" repeatedly. Perhaps
because of the SMTP server you're using for sending email? Actually,
no, now that I look at your messages I see that they all have
something like this as the first RECEIVED: header (before the your
SMTP server):
Received: from les (unverified [76.9.66.82]) by smtp1.sti.net
(Rockliffe SMTPRA 8.0.3) with SMTP id <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
Mon, 5 Nov 2007 07:51:41 -0800
The UNVERIFIED seems to be the issue. Checking for this in all the
headers in my trash can (N messages), I see in one of your messages
from yesterday, this header:
X-Greylist: Delayed for 00:10:10 by milter-greylist-4.0
(lnxrac2.shsu.edu [158.135.1.69]); Thu, 13 Dec 2007 19:38:09
-0600 (CST)
That one wasn't marked with the {Fraud?} subject tag, but it does
have the originating machine name/IP address. There are very few
other messages to the Finale list that have an unverified host
name/IP address in the headers. I do see one from Michael Good on
10/22, and it also has a X-Greylist header, but no subject tag. On
the other hand, two other messages from Michael on 10/18 and 10/19
with near-identical headers (in regard to UNVERIFIED) lack the X-
Greylist header. On the other hand, a similar message from Michael on
10/17 has the X-Greylist header (and no subject tags).
And this search also turned up three messages from you with X-
Greylist headers and no subject tags from the 10/15.
No other posters showed up with UNVERIFIED in the RECEIVED: headers,
except Thurletta Brown-Gavins. Most of those posts (with the
exception of the ones from Michael Good mentioned above) had the X-
Greylist header (and no subject tags).
So, it seems that the subject tags come from:
1. SHSU's greylisting software
2. which is triggered by unverified host names/IP addresses in the
Received headers.
Why it sometimes adds the X-Greylist header and sometimes doesn't,
and why it sometimes tags the subjects and sometimes doesn't, I don't
know. But we at least know the source now.
How do you get your Internet connectivity? Broadband? Dialup? That
might explain it, as most broadband users have connections that
resolve the IP address to a fixed host name (even if the IP is
dynamic). It may be that your Internet provider handles this
differently.
--
David W. Fenton http://dfenton.com
David Fenton Associates http://dfenton.com/DFA/
_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale