--- dhbailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > I'd leave the assessment of "good" and "bad" to
> the students and
> > instead try to teach something that's
> representative of what happened
> > musically during the historical period in
> question.
> >

> I agree -- but it's hard to find a textbook to teach
> with which has a
> listening collection which would fit such a
> fair-representation delivery.

The best classes I ever had didn't have a text with a
listening collection: the teachers put lists of music,
including multiple performances of some pieces, on
reserve at the library and brought in stacks of CDs &
scores to class.

When we had a book+CD set in second year, many of the
students memorized specific performances, and several
of us noticed that we just needed to recognize the
distinctive sound of 3 different pianos rather than
actually learning the whole pieces for a listening
test. (Overworked students will usually take advantage
of any shortcuts!)

--
Io la Musica son, ch'ai dolci accenti
So far tranquillo ogni turbato core,