<<Of course, I cannot measure this, and I don't know all the the bad songs, movie music, musicals, revues, and jazz compositions and performances of this period, but the indelible impression remains that this period of American popular music was an unusually fecund one. >> Chuck

I agree with Chuck about this period and I think the reason is that, this was the last time when professionals were in charge of all aspects of the popular music industry. Even the performers of this repertoire were much better because they were vetted by professionals. Basic tenets like, a singer couldn't imagine being asked to make a record unless they sang in tune! I have a great affection for many songs of that era that, though they aren't profound, are so well crafted that they stand the test of time.

The rise of the singer songwriter was the end of this. Now one is expected to be a genius as a melodist, a lyric writer, a good singer and a charismatic performer. Impossible! There were only 3 songwriters who could manage both words and music, never mind the rest. Cole Porter, Irving Berlin and Frank Loesser.

Of course there's both sides to a story - the professionals in the 1950's, like Mitch Miller brought us amazing crap that probably ushered in the excesses of the rock era.

Mike Greensill

www.mikegreensill.com