On Apr 22, 2008, at 5:09 AM, dhbailey wrote:

Darcy James Argue wrote:
Hi Doug,
On Mac, the command key is the override key for linked parts. When you perform an action with the command key held down (like, for instance, dragging an expression), you are telling Finale to override the default behavior w/r/t linked parts and do the opposite. For example: normally, when you drag a linked expression in the score, this does not break the positioning link, and causes the expression to be moved in both score and parts. But if you hold down the command key while dragging, the positioning link is broken and the expression will move in the score only -- the parts will be unaffected. Alternately, if you drag a linked expression in the parts while holding down the command key, the expression will be moved in both part and score, and the positioning link won't be broken. The same logic prevails with slurs: while viewing the score, F (no modifier key) in the score flips the slur in both score and part. While viewing a part, F (no modifier key) flips the slur in the part only, and also breaks the link. Command-F does the opposite in both cases.
[snip]

Thank you for the further clarification, Darcy! I will take some time this next week to read the manual a lot more than I have, but in the meantime I have a question for this apparent reversal of key- stroke effects --

Can anybody explain to me why the same keystroke shouldn't have the same function in both score and parts? What logic is there in forcing us to remember that if we're working in a score we have to do the opposite of what we're doing in the part to achieve the same effect?

From what Darcy says, it seems:

SCORE -- cmd-F breaks the link but F by itself maintains the link
PART -- cmd-F maintains the link but F by itself breaks the link

Why can't there be consistency among these things? It seems as if they are making it unnecessarily complicated. Why not cmd-F breaks the link no matter which view and F by itself maintains the link no matter which view?

I don't get it. Which isn't surprising because there's lots about Fin2008 that I don't get. :-(

Actually, I find this aspect totally right about Finale. I WANT things to move in the parts when I move them in the score upon initial entry (which takes no extra key). Next when I comb through the parts, I want things NOT to move in the score when I need to change something in the parts (also no extra key) unless I find something wrong (then I use the override key). Then last of all, I comb through the score again to make it pretty, this time using the override key ALL the time so as not to mess up my perfect parts.

Maybe I am just a geek, but this aspect of Finale I just got the first time.

Christopher