On May 4, 2008, at 2:38 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

the only place outside of Finale that
I've seen a "French violin clef" that puts the g' on the bottom line of
the staff is in Dover's edition of "Die Kunst der Fuge." Has anyone else
here had practical experience with it?

Every recorder player knows it. It was also the clef normally used for the pardessus de viole, a tiny French gamba designed to play the violin repertoire. The reason this clef was used for it was so a player of the regular bass gamba could pick up a pardessus, read its part in the bass clef, and the notes would come out correctly.

For more on the pardessus de viole, see my book, pp. 463-465.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://www.kallistimusic.com/