On Mar 31, 2009, at 8:46 AM, Christopher Smith wrote:

The plastic coils I got for the CoilMac are sturdy and quiet. I have never broken one yet. Combs, on the other hand, ARE noisy and fragile.

The plastic combs I have been using all along are not at all fragile. I have never known one to break on me--and I have specimens going back as far as 1966!

Noise is primarily caused by using a binding strip that is too narrow--a common mistake. Put on a comb that is a little wider than you think you need, and almost all the noise goes away.

What eventually wears out in a comb-bound volume is not the comb, but the paper; and even so my 1966-67 issues of _Source_ show only minor wear to the covers.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://www.kallistimusic.com/