I can't help you with the problem, except that maybe you have created an expression, or something with the MIDI tool, that sends a sustain pedal ON message without ever sending the off message. Did you take a pedal articulation and change it to something else without checking the playback? That has got me more than once.

However, next time you have sounding notes hanging over, use the All Notes Off command from the MIDI/Audio menu. Then you won't have to quit. I have to do this sometimes when I accidentally hold a key down during Speedy Entry and change staves.

Christopher