On 25 Feb 2010 at 13:57, Ryan wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 1:46 PM, David W. Fenton
> <lists.fin...@dfenton.com>wrote:
>
> > On 25 Feb 2010 at 22:35, Jari Williamsson wrote:
> >
> > > I highly recommend these Henle plates. It just becomes so much easier to
> > > understand the reasons why Ross, Chlapik, etc talks about engraving
> > > elements the way they do.
> >
> > One of my professors at NYU has a plate from the 1st edition of
> > Wagner's Tristan, done by Breitkopf & Härtel in 1860. It's quite
> > beautiful, too.
>
> How does one obtain a plate? Do they sell them on their website?

Heavens, no! I don't know how the Henle plates got "liberated" but
the B&H plates are very rare collector's items. My professor acquired
it many, many years ago, back when the dollar was worth several
Deutschmarks (perhaps as long as 50 years ago, in fact), and I don't
know if it was expensive or not.

But I doubt many of these (if any) are available today.