David W. Fenton wrote:
On 25 Feb 2010 at 13:57, Ryan wrote:

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 1:46 PM, David W. Fenton
<lists.fin...@dfenton.com>wrote:

On 25 Feb 2010 at 22:35, Jari Williamsson wrote:

I highly recommend these Henle plates. It just becomes so much easier to
understand the reasons why Ross, Chlapik, etc talks about engraving
elements the way they do.
One of my professors at NYU has a plate from the 1st edition of
Wagner's Tristan, done by Breitkopf & Härtel in 1860. It's quite
beautiful, too.
How does one obtain a plate? Do they sell them on their website?

Heavens, no! I don't know how the Henle plates got "liberated"

Actually, Henle is selling the plates, itself. Most likely they've gone to photo-reproduction for the older works and all the new works are computer engraved, so their original plates are not worth anything (in their current opinion) so they're selling them. I just ordered one through the link that Jari shared in an earlier message, and they're $40 and some change at the sheetmusic.com link. At the Henle site, they're listed for 30 euros.

Since I often discuss music engraving with my students (by way of explaining how difficult it is to repair defects in older engraved works such as the Klose method or the Arban's book, it will be great to actually show them a plate. I've also downloaded the zipped jpg files of engraving along with the video, since who knows how long they will remain available at the Henle site.

--
David H. Bailey
dhbai...@davidbaileymusicstudio.com