At 9:52 PM -0600 3/13/10, Robert Patterson wrote:

So help me to understand. You are sitting in the audience of a large
hall listening to an ensemble with a large number of players. How do
you know whether they were reversing their mouthpieces? I ask in all
seriousness, because many players do it automatically. The fact is, as
a player you have to do *something* if you want the effect to be
heard, because freely blowing through the instrument does not produce
enough sound to be heard over much more than a harp, and then at short
distance. So you have to leak or obstruct to create a sound. Reversing
the mouthpiece provides better control of both timbre and dynamic.

Not meaning to be argumentative, but isn't this a composer's problem and not the player's? If a composer calls for an unusual effect and it doesn't work out the way he thought/hoped/imagined/guessed that it would, isn't that his or her lack of skill and knowledge on display, just as it would be if he tried to write for lute with brass choir?

Just curious.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.