I am late for the thread as usual - to make things worse, I got my studio
flooded this week :_(

To me, swing feel, or I rather want to use the word Groove is very cultural.  I
mean, musical style is a really cultural thing.  You can't learn them from
books.  Listening may not be enough.  You want to live where that culture is,
no?  But I think you all know this already.

What I wanted to respond to is the bowing thread.  I had two violin students
who studied jazz impro with me so I did some researching.  There are two major
different styles.  One is the fiddle bowing.  They use tip of the bow to
produce the time feel.  The other is the middle bowing, which you see more
often in rock music.  It seems middle bowing is coming from classical style.
It fits well with rock music because it is more dramatic, but it seems harder
to swing probably it's something to do with how the bow speaks - I don't know
since I am just a flute player.

But I was fascinated with the style differences between the two.  Some players
such as Jean-Luc Ponty can mix these styles but he is mainly a middle bowing
style, while Christian Howes, Rob Thomas, and Matt Glaser those who also teache
at Berklee are more of tip bowing.  I also found students who came from
classical training dislike tip bowing.  I personally feel tip bowing swings
harder.

While I was researching, I found this guy on YouTube, Scott Tixier.  This guy
grooves!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt0QMz_OCvs

I just wanted to share :-)

--
- Hiro

Hiroaki Honshuku, A-NO-NE Music, Greater Boston
http://a-no-ne.com   http://anonemusic.com
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pearflame&search_type=&aq=f