On Tue Mar 30, at TuesdayMar 30 11:05 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

On 30 Mar 2010 at 21:57, Christopher Smith wrote:

On Tue Mar 30, at TuesdayMar 30 9:49 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

Last I checked, UMI PDFs of dissertations were graphics of scans of
the printed page, not produced from the text of the document. Even if
they *were* produced from the printed document, specifying dpi of
source graphics is not something any institution would be doing, any
more than they would be restricting Ph.D. candidates to using MS Word
to produce their dissertations.

My wife's Master's thesis, completed last year, REQUIRED her to
submit a copy on MS Word.

To whom? UMI or the university? My bet is that's a local requirement
(and reprehensible).

Yes, it was the university that set that requirement. I did find that they had quite a stick up their collective posterior about tiny details.

The reasoning is that a searchable archive
copy will be created (I imagine in PDF) from her file. I think scans
of printed pages are for old documents that don't exist in electronic
form, but they still type in the abstract for the search engines.

There are quite recent dissertations that UMI delivers as PDFs of
scans that could have been delivered as electronic text instead.

She had a lot of tables and graphs with closely-specified requirements (which I am sure was the university!) but I don't know anything more than that, except that she used the built-in tables and graphs in Microsoft Office to accomplish them. I'm not sure how they would show up in electronic text (do you include PDF as an example of "electronic text?" I'm not sure of the definition), nor what the requirements were. Probably the clerk at the university who creates the PDF knows.

She also had to submit three paper copies, with everything specified
from the typeface to the weight and finish of the paper. It was quite
an ordeal.

But still no requirements on dpi for embedded graphics.

Certainly we're getting closer to having your tools specified, but
still not something as specific as resolution of embedded content.

No, sorry I have no information on resolution of embedded content. If the university was consistent, it would have specified a lossless format, rather than a bit-mapped image.

Christopher