I have experience the same problem in the past and it has happened when I have somehow messed up by doing illegal commands, or simply made unreasonable requests, I guess you could say, with tools or mass mover or such. The only thing that I could do was to go the most recent good file and recopy it to a new template which I made to match the document as I had evolved it to be at the time I contaminated it. Usually the reconstruction process was not all that long or tedious as I knew exactly what I wanted to do. Annoying, but in the end you will come out with a better product.

tim