There is no exact type of error that I have positively identified, but I will give you some examples of what I think may have done it.

1. For instance, if I am working in 4/4 and have occasional measures in 6/8. I decide to insert these 15 or so measures into the piece later on. I copy it and inadvertently insert it into a section with 4/4 measures only, the results can be disasterous, especially if I have been negligent enough to have partial measures selected. (am way back on v. 2002). I may not discover that the staves are now out of proper barring and can have particularly misalignment between staves. If I get it all corrected and save it, I may then find that the file is corrupted. ( I can believe it, too)

2. Changes using partial measures seems to be an issue if the alignment between staves becomes out of sync. and I correct it. I do not know
how this works in the newer versions of Finale.

3. Inadvertently having copied and pasted one meter into another meter, discovering the error later and restoring the proper barring, seems a possible problem
        in file corruption.
4. Anytime I copy, using partial measure, into another part of the score and have not copied the complete measure, it puts the stave out of alignment from then on to the next black measure in that staff. Correcting this, can corrupt the file, IMHO.

There may be other things as well, but these are related operations I have done in the past and lost the file through -39. But fortunately, going to the previous day's file, I can redo the score to the form I had finally arrive at, and do it quickly with no errors.

tim