On 7 May 2010, at 11:02 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

> You save it and in the process, it gets corrupted on disk.
>
> When you do that, the previous, uncorrupted version, is renamed to be
> the backup file, MyMusic.bak. At this point, MyMusic.bak is not
> corrupt, but MyMusic.mus is corrupt.

I can't speak to FinWin, but that's not how it works on FinMac. The "Make
Backups When Saving Files" option merely generates a duplicate version whenever
you choose "Save" or "Save As." It does not auto-rename previously-saved
versions.

The autosave feature simply saves the document in whatever state it happens to
be in when the autosave daemon kicks in.

If you have file corruption, then autosave kicks in, and you manually save the
document, you are SOL. You will have to quit Finale, then revert to a version
that was saved under a different name before the corruption occurred.

Cheers,

- DJA
-----
WEB: http://www.secretsocietymusic.org