On Fri May 7, at FridayMay 7 11:26 PM, Darcy James Argue wrote:

On 7 May 2010, at 11:02 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

I would hesitate to blame this directly on Finale.

I am pretty sure this is a Finale issue and not an OS issue. I've never, ever, experienced file corruption using any other Mac OS X app. But it seems to happen on a fairly regular basis for MacFin power users. I haven't seen it myself in a few years (knock on wood) but I know others have, including several Mac users on this list.

I see it on occasion in AppleWorks 6 as well. (Yes, I still use that old, old program). I wonder if it is just a coincidence that both Finale AND AppleWorks 6 are the only two apps I use that don't use the new Mac OSX filenames correctly (they both stop using Apple protocols at 32 characters, including the extension and period.) I would bet dollars to doughnuts that Harold's filename was longer than 32 characters.

It is because of this issue that I managed to overwrite a .mus file with an audio file created from inside Finale. This is a documented bug, not addressed yet by MakeMusic except to advise users to save audio in a different directory than the .mus file resides, or to confine filenames to 28 characters or fewer, plus the .mus extension.

Christopher