At 3:00 PM -0500 6/1/10, Noel Stoutenburg wrote:

I concede that Finale relates everything to bars, but since a finale bar can contain (on Windows, since FIN 2k) 100 whole notes to a bar, I don't find this to be a particularly limiting restriction.

Yes, Sibelius will do that, too. (Mosaic would not.) But that introduces different problems. I guess my particular problem is that I want to avoid ties across barlines, but I also want bar numbers for rehearsal purposes. Something like having your cake ...

Of course, if one means to try to engrave an old edition in "choirbook" format, where there is no direct correlation between the lines in the different parts, this might prove somewhat more problematic.

Hmmm. I haven't tried this, but it could be done as 3 (or more as needed) separate scores exported and assembled on the pages, I would think. But if we're transcribing into modern notation in the first place, I can't think of a reason to do this. Extracting separate parts would be today's way to do it, just like string quartets.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.