On Mon, May 31, 2010 9:51 pm, Christopher Smith wrote:
> I suppose what we are up in arms about is composers (we ALL know
> them!) who write strange things either because they don't know any
> better, or are looking for ways to make their music difficult to
> understand as a substitute for actual musical depth.

You think? I suppose that can be true, but there's plenty of musical
shallowness in new compositions written in conventional notation. I don't
think this is a substitution issue.

> Yeah, wow. I would find that bass clarinet part really tough to keep
> my place in, both with and without the 4/4 notation. I wouldn't have
> a problem with lining up the eighth-note subdivisions (that seems
> pretty clear) but in those moments when things are opposed (bottom of
> pg 8 through 10, then 12 and 13) I would need a place to hang my hat,
> so to speak, from time to time. The rhythmic dissonance is just too
> tough to hold steadily without it, like trying to hold a quarter tone
> with your voice, unless you have MIGHTY time.
> The barlines you added in the score are great, but I would like them
> a little more often, in ALL parts, maybe with an indication of who I
> am lining up with (text cue, or musical cue of an opposing
> instrument?).

Good points all. I wrote this as a stream of eighth notes pulsing equally in
time, with the placement of parts became responsible for creating rhythmic
'ghosts' ... like a resulting tone that doesn't exist per se but it an
artifact of played pitches. These are rhythmic resulting tones, but adding
that 4/4 division created exactly what you heard...

> I can hear him giving breath accents on "his"
> beats. I might have ended up marking in my own "barlines" just to
> keep my place. But according to the music, not strict 4/4!

Thanks for the thoughts -- this gives me the opportunity to approach the
presentation differently, and when I get around to creating new score & parts
(they're long overdue), I'll incorporate those ideas.

By the way, this was played by the American Modern Ensemble two years ago. I'm
not sure if they used the score or the parts, but the breath accents weren't
heard.

Dennis