On 6 Nov 2010, at 19:22, John Howell wrote:

> Gounod is hardly what I'd call a "recent" composer, since he died in 1910.
> And that score is undoubtedly a reprint of a much earlier edition.

Of course Gounod isn't a recent composer, but that edition is recent and
certainly not a reprint of an earlier edition. It was completely new in 1972,
edited by Fritz Oeser who put back passages that Gounod had cut before the
premiere. According to Gérard Condé in his book on Gounod (Fayard 2009), Oeser
even changed things to suit his own taste, for example taking a chorus from the
third scene of the last act and inserting it into the first scene of that act.

I'm perfectly used to seeing C-clefs in voice parts in older scores, but this
is the first time that I've come across them in a recent edition where the
music has clearly been newly engraved for that edition. It just seems weird.
The "Urtext" editions I have from around the same period (Neue Mozartausgabe,
for instance) use G-clefs for sopranos and tenors.

Michael