On 9 Jan 2011 at 17:50, Kim Patrick Clow wrote:

> In several sources I am working on, instead of the usual 'f" I have
> 'fort'
>
> Is it considered legitimate to use italic bold if I am trying to
> duplicate what the source has or just use simple italics? It's
> definitely easier bolded, and plus the standard dynamic fonts are
> bold.

This depends on the house style of the critical edition. The NMA, for
instance, uses non-italic for original dynamics, and italic for
editorial additions.

I don't know what is more common. I go for brackets, myself, as I
think that's more clear than the italic/non-italic distinction. In
the case of French music, I think I'd use "fort" for original
dynamics and standard Finale "f" for editorial. That makes it pretty
clear, don't you think?