I can't be much help, although I've found that cut and paste can reliably transfer layout changes.
What I will say though is 'Come over to the dark side of linked parts!'
Any advantages to the part-extraction method are much more than made up for by the convenience of going back and forth.
Finale approaches what is and is not linked both sensibly and flexibly.
Moving to an app with linked parts was what I left Finale for the first time over a decade ago!

Steve P.