On May 12, 2011, at 9:49 PM, Mark D Lew wrote:

Another observation: In my experience with community choruses, it is not uncommon for the lowest-voiced women to be in the tenor section. Those type of choruses typically have plenty of altos and not enough tenors, so if a woman has a tone low enough to blend with men's and she doesn't mind, she'll often be asked to sing tenor.

Sometimes it isn't a matter of being ASKED to sing tenor, but a matter of INSISTING on singing tenor. It doesn't happen often, but there are certainly women who have learned over the years that the tenor range is the "sweet spot" in their voices where they are the most comfortable. I guess you'd call them the true contraltos (or "contra-altos").

Remember the good ol' bell-shaped curve that represents darned near every human characteristic? Well for voice ranges it's a bimodal curve, a separate curve for each gender. (And yes, a third curve for children, although they usually get ignored.) And yes, there's an area of overlap right in the middle, and it's a pretty wide one in practical terms. (Sez I, with a son who is a professional countertenor!)

I completely agree that women should not be FORCED to use a part of their voice in which they are not comfortable, whether it's high or low. It invites vocal damage. That's why it's always better to write for voices you know rather than for generic voices according to some chart. And it's true that out on the fringes of the bell curve there are fewer and fewer people as you move from one to two standard deviations from the mean, but those voices DO exist--the bass in the Pointer Sisters or Carol Channing on one end, Mariah Carey or Yma Sumac on the other. (And I had a soprano in my university show ensemble who discovered IN A SOUNDCHECK that she could hit those Mariah Carey notes, and it was quite a sight to see our sound techs jump for the board to slam down the faders before she busted a speaker!!!)

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.