Here is a pic. of the letter in Lucida Calligraph font.

original post:

________

Good points, John.  As for the correct placement of the cross stoke,
it does not seem to be in the precisely correct location with this font.  My
association
with the "f-hole" designation is a bit simplistic,  but it does carry with it
the general meaning
I thought was behind the name, or referenced letter.
What IS it called in 17th Century Italian? Anyone know?

tim

On Oct 4, 2011, at 12:30 PM, John Howell wrote:

> At 8:00 AM -0400 10/4/11, timothy.price wrote:
>> On Oct 3, 2011, at 5:23 PM, John Howell wrote:
>>
>>> books that show plates of
>>> top quality museum violins and have written
>>> descriptions of them.
>>
>> Does the name have anything to do with the shape if the letter?
>> If so, then in English we would use "f " a lower case scripted
>> character.  This is Lucida Calligraph and looks appropriate to me.
>
> Of course it does, just as the term C-hole has to
> do with the shape of the letter when that cutout
> is used on violas da gamba, but it specifically
> does in English, and the early violin family
> makers were working for the most part in northern
> Italy.  So I wonder what the Italian term was or
> is.
>
> But that was exactly the original question:  does
> the shape of the icon as it is carved control the
> shape of the letter to be used in typescript?
> Your Lucida Calligraph did not come through,
> possibly because I might not have that font on my
> computer, or because I have my email configured
> to use Chicago for display.
>
> I brought up the long ess incorrectly, since the
> difference between that and the f is whether
> there is a projection to the right of the letter
> or not.  And on a violin family instrument there
> is.  In fact those projections (the cross stroke)
> are used to line up the placement of the bridge.
>
> John
>

> --
> John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
> Virginia Tech Department of Music
> School of Performing Arts & Cinema
> College of Liberal Arts & Human Sciences
> 290 College Ave., Blacksburg, Virginia 24061-0240
> Vox (540) 231-8411  Fax (540) 231-5034
> (mailto:john.how...@vt.edu)
> http://www.music.vt.edu/faculty/howell/howell.html
>
> "Machen Sie es, wie Sie wollen, machen Sie es nur schön."
> (Do it as you like, just make it beautiful!)  --Johannes Brahms

timothy.price
timothy.pr...@valley.net