Thnaks, John.  Yes I should have mentioned that the laptop was old enough to
still have that function.  We've since tested it in other applications, and it
works just fine.  I'm thinking that I'll drag the keyboard from an old (bondi
blue) up there and plug it into the macbook to see if it will function as a
number pad.  It might just function as a keyboard.

On Jan 28, 2012, at 11:25 AM, John Howell wrote:

> Dick:  Are you aware that Apple removed the
> embedded keypad function from its laptops a
> couple of years ago, just as they removed floppy
> disk support and drives much longer ago than
> that?  It might be necessary to add a USB keypad
> as a peripheral to use that function.

Dick H
OlyWa