Dear Doug, I am out of town for a week but would be interested to hear if the Bill Duncan FAN issue has been resolved, so that I will know what to do when I get home. There were issues with some symbols showing up in slot positions in the editing matrix that were literally off the grid and therefore next to impossible to access in order edit the FAN files.
Sent from my iPhone On Jun 27, 2012, at 12:09 PM, Doug Walter <[email protected]> wrote: > Successful resolution: > > Just to warn anyone else who might be succumbing to old habits, I had done > something that turns out to be unnecessary for versions since 2010 - I had > created a Finale 2012 folder inside my Applications folder and put the Finale > 2012 app inside it along with the Finale 2012 Preferences file. I've been > doing that for years, because that used to be the only way to keep multiple > versions of Finale on your hard disk and still keep them from trying to use > each other's Preferences files. > > I'm told that's no longer necessary, and in fact by creating a new Finale > 2012 folder in my Applications folder, the 2012b updater didn't find the > original app and instead created a new (non-functioning) one outside my > Finale 2012 folder, leaving the original one alone. Once I dragged the 2012 > app out of its own folder and reran the installer, it found it and > successfully updated it. > > I'm especially interested in using the new version to see if it will in fact > generate new FAN files for the Bill Duncan chord symbol fonts so I don't have > to search for the proper version of the FAN file if I'm using a document that > can't find it for some reason. What keeps happening is that ties, etc. don't > position correctly in Rhythmic Notation if you don't have the correct FAN > file installed, so I'm hopeful this will smooth things out in that department. > > Doug > > > On Jun 26, 2012, at 10:38 PM, Phillips, Justin wrote: > >> We haven't seen this before and this is pretty odd. Do you know if Finale >> was running when you tried to update? >> >> Also, I would highly encourage you to contact our support team about this so >> we can learn a bit more. >> >> --- >> Justin Phillips >> Portfolio Manager-Notation Products >> MakeMusic, Inc. >> 763-772-3964 >> >> >> On Jun 26, 2012, at 11:49 PM, "Doug Walter" <[email protected]> wrote: >> >>> Anybody else having any trouble updating FinMac 2012 to 2012b? I downloaded >>> the updater and ran it , seemingly without problems, but instead of >>> updating the Finale 2012.app, it created a separate Finale 2012.app in my >>> Applications folder, but outside the Finale 2012 folder which contains >>> only the original app and the Finale 2012 Preferences file. >>> >>> Once it did that, all my Finale files on my disk now have generic file >>> icons. If I try to open a Finale file by double-clicking it, or if I try to >>> open 2012b by double-clicking the application icon, I get the message >>> "Unhandled exception caught" on a generic-looking document icon with a >>> pencil, a ruler and a brush(?) on it. If I OK out of that dialog, I get the >>> "Finale quit unexpectedly" dialog. >>> >>> 8-core Mac Pro, recently installed Lion 10.7.4. >>> >>> I even reinstalled the original 2012 app and redownloaded the updater, but >>> same result. Also tried rebooting the computer. >>> >>> Any enlightenment welcome. >>> >>> Thanks, >>> Doug >>> _______________________________________________ >>> Finale mailing list >>> [email protected] >>> http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale > > > _______________________________________________ > Finale mailing list > [email protected] > http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale _______________________________________________ Finale mailing list [email protected] http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale
