On Sep 22, 2012, at 5:52 AM, Patrick Sheehan <patricksheehanmu...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Who needs courtesy accidentals?  Such a crutch.  Forget it!

Those who value considerate and clear communication with musicians.

Those who pay for rehearsal time.

Those who live in a world that extends beyond the diatonic.

Those who understand that conventions are arrived at by consensus and change
over time and are aware of and respectful of contemporary standards (especially
the more useful ones).

Those who prefer addressing interpretive nuance over technical distractions.

Those who respect the degree of preparation and concentration required of
skilled sight readers of complex music and want a significant proportion of
that concentration free to be trained on elements beyond questions of pitch.

I suppose this list could be lengthened, but that's probably enough.  Language
changes. Communication usually tends to become more efficient (i.e. losing the
distinction between "less" and "fewer"; the dropping of pronouns when the verb
makes the "person" clear), and sometimes becomes impoverished as in the
confused and confusing substitution of subjective and objective case as
practiced by otherwise educated contemporary speakers, "They took a photo of
George and I".

Whatever is going on in contemporary communication, thoughtful choices are
required to make that communication clear and elegant.  Awareness of and
respect for the expectations of the recipients of musical notation is part of
the equation and it's not an academic issue, it's a practical one.

Chuck

> Patrick J. M. Sheehan
> Music Director, Instructor: Woodlawn Arts Academy
> P. S. Music
> Host: "The Saturday Blues" on 89.5 WNIJ-FM, 1 pm - 4 pm (CST) & WNIJ.org
> 1-815-973-2317 (m)
>
> patricksheehanmu...@gmail.com

Chuck Israels
8831 SE 12th Ave.
Portland, OR 97202-7097

land line: (503) 954-2107cell phone: (360) 201-3434

<www.chuckisraels.com>
<www.chuckisraelsjazz.com>