One could discuss all day longs things that singers should and should not
do. I think books have been written on the subject. But they are beside the
point here.

What I am saying is, if you want the best performance out of the most
number of singers, I highly recommend providing a C score. I have paid the
price for not so doing and I won't make the same mistake twice.

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 8:48 PM, Raymond Horton <[email protected]>wrote:

> Way back in undergrad theory, we were painstakingly, over a period of
> time, analyzing the Wagner "Tristan" Prelude and Liebestod from the
> miniature full scores.  If you recall, that is a particular challenge,
> besides the obvious harmonic ones, as it features such transposing
> favorites as a pair each of horns in F and E, bass clef-bass clarinet in A,
> trumpets in F, plenty of tenor clef, etc.  One class I noticed a singer
> next to me was using, instead of the tiny full score, a piano reduction he
> had found in an anthology.  I remarked something negative on that, he said,
> rather defensively and unconvincingly, that he checked everything with the
> full score, blah, blah.
>
> Flash forward about five years,  I'm playing a recording date in studio for
> previously mentioned singer who has written an advertising jingle.  Guess
> what?  We get bogged down because of (who'd-a-guessed it?) transposition
> errors in some of the parts.  We have to stop and fix the parts, we go into
> overtime, singer-leader is sweating because he's going over budget.
>
> It's good for singers to learn to transpose, also.
>
> Raymond Horton
> Bass Trombonist, Louisville Orchestra
> Minister of Music, Edwardsville (IN) UMC
> Composer, Arranger
> VISIT US AT rayhortonmusic.com
>
>
> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 9:15 PM, John Howell <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > At 2:41 PM -0500 10/1/12, Robert Patterson wrote:
> > >No, I mean vocal chamber music with transposing instruments.
> >
> >
> > Ahhh. That didn't occur to me.  Sorry.  But why
> > is that really a problem?  90% of singers
> > couldn't read a viola part in alto clef, either,
> > but *I* would want to see it where it belongs.
> > Isn't that what the piano reduction is for in the
> > first place?  It WILL be used for practice as the
> > singer learns his or her part.
> >
> > John
> >
> >
> > --
> > John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
> > Virginia Tech Department of Music
> > School of Performing Arts & Cinema
> > College of Liberal Arts & Human Sciences
> > 290 College Ave., Blacksburg, Virginia 24061-0240
> > Vox (540) 231-8411  Fax (540) 231-5034
> > (mailto:[email protected])
> > http://www.music.vt.edu/faculty/howell/howell.html
> >
> > "Machen Sie es, wie Sie wollen, machen Sie es nur schön."
> > (Do it as you like, just make it beautiful!)  --Johannes Brahms
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Finale mailing list
> > [email protected]
> > http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale
> >
> _______________________________________________
> Finale mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale
>
_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to