I agree.  A concert-pitch score with unmarked octave transpositions can be
quite confusing.  Octave clefs clear any confusion quite easily, without
explanation needed.

Raymond Horton
Bass Trombonist, Louisville Orchestra
Minister of Music, Edwardsville (IN) UMC
Composer, Arranger
VISIT US AT rayhortonmusic.com


On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 9:02 AM, Steve Parker <[email protected]> wrote:

> Maybe I'm misunderstanding but if I make a concert score (never by
> choice..) I make liberal use of octave displaced clefs.
>
> Steve P.
>
> On 1 Oct 2012, at 04:50, Robert Patterson <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > I am writing a contrabassoon part in a C score. The way I usually handle
> C
> > scores is that I label each transposing instrument "sounding as written",
> > but I do not so label octave transposing instruments. That allows me to
> not
> > be fussy about them.
> >
> > But it puts me in a quandary for correct playback, and I had thought
> > transposing expression would work. But I am finding (at least sometimes)
> > they don't transpose. Specifically, I have a bassoon/contra doubling
> part.
> > When the contra part starts I put a hidden "T-12" transposing expression
> in
> > the score. It was actually working, but then it stopped, and I have no
> idea
> > what changed. I certainly did not change anything on purpose.
> >
> > Does anyone know why a transposing exp. might not transpose? Oddly
> enough,
> > my piccolo expressions are transposing. Go figure. The options in the
> > assignment dialogs for both contra and piccolo exps look the same to me.
> > _______________________________________________
> > Finale mailing list
> > [email protected]
> > http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale
>
> _______________________________________________
> Finale mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale
>
_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to