I totally agree that cautionary accidentals without parens cause me to glance
back as well.

And don't forget singers. Cautionary accidentals in parens need to be present
when there's a cross-relation on or nearby. This also goes for astute string
players -- in a piece of mine a few weeks ago, an A-flat in one part was
followed by an A-natural in another, and the second player stopped to make
sure that it wasn't a mistake.

Dennis