I do a lot of sight-reading too, including an increasing amount of stuff
printed for audition from the internet in keys like E#..
Cautionarys without parentheses cause my eyes to skip back and check the key or
the previous accidental .

My preference is:

If the note is changed by the accidental, then obviously no parentheses.
If the note is not changed by the accidental then it is not really an
‘accidental’ and should be parenthesised.

Clearly, there are modern (and ancient) situations where the rules are
different - in 17-limit JI I have accidentals on every note, no parentheses.

Steve P.