It's always been a mystery to many of us on this forum over the years about how the inner workings of Finale are inter-related. I doubt whether even the programmers fully know all the ins and outs of how that all interacts (there have been so many different development teams working on it over all these years). But if they do know how it works, they need to get together with their human interface team and make these dialogs more logical.
You're right, those notes really aren't rests, so how would an unsuspecting user have any clue that a setting clearly labeled for "rests" might have any effect on how Finale interprets notes. I was able to help point you in the correct direction and suggest that you make the settings equal between the two computers to get the same results only because of discussions over the past 20 years or so that I've been a member of this group. Otherwise I would have had no clue that "quantization settings" would have any effect on how Finale works with the notation data. In any event I'm happy I could help point you in the correct direction! David H. Bailey On 2/9/2016 3:49 PM, Douglas Brown wrote: > Thanks for the info, David. This seems crazy, but the only difference in the > settings was that my Win10 machine did not have "Allow dotted rests in > compound meters" checked. > > I checked the box then tried it. All is well and we're good to go. > > Funny thing is, 3/4 really isn't compound (in most usual cases), and > dotted-half notes really, really aren't rests. > > Douglas > > > >> Has anyone run into this before? I'm running 2012c on a laptop with >> WinVista and a desktop with Win10, previously Win7. >> >> When rebarring measures into 3/4 from 2/4, 4/4, or 16/4 on Vista, >> three-beat notes come out as dotted halves. When doing the same (in >> the same file) on Win10 (and I recall this happening before on Win7, >> also), three-beat notes come out as a half tied to a quarter. Is >> there a setting to change somewhere? >> >> Thanks in advance, Douglas Brown >> > > If I recall correctly it's called "Soften Syncopations" (I know it > doesn't make sense since you're not really dealing with syncopations.) > > It's in the Midi/Audio menu, Quantization Settings, click on the More > Settings button and then you'll see, near the bottom, the Soften > Syncopations check-box. Make sure that the settings are the same for > the two different computers and you should get the same results. > > > > _______________________________________________ > Finale mailing list > [email protected] > https://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale > > To unsubscribe from finale send a message to: > [email protected] > > -- David H. Bailey [email protected] http://www.davidbaileymusicstudio.com _______________________________________________ Finale mailing list [email protected] https://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale To unsubscribe from finale send a message to: [email protected]
