blockquote, div.yahoo_quoted { margin-left: 0 !important; border-left:1px
#715FFA solid !important; padding-left:1ex !important; background-color:white
!important; }  LOL Close enuff for jazz I guess!
From an improv vamping POV it proves convenient, and that may well be all that
is required. But I can't see calling the 6th degree of a minor scale - Bb here
- a #5 in any theory book.
Playing the chords in context it sounds like what it is: a minor 6th.
Alone it sounds like Bb/D b5.
Thanks for the example! Well found.
GJB

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Saturday, July 30, 2016, 12:20 PM, Lon Price <lonpr...@att.net> wrote:

Check out the Real Book, Vol. 1 (Hal Leonard Edition), page 102 - Dear Old
Stockholm.  The second chord is D-9#5, so that’s at least one example of the
chord being used in a publication.

> On Jul 30, 2016, at 8:52 AM, GERALD BERG <gj.b...@rogers.com> wrote:
>
> Problem there is a #5 needs a major third (D# in this case) to sound
> augmented otherwise it just sounds like a perfect 4th. GJB

Lon Price
lonpr...@att.net