Something which I have found to be very useful:  I have partitioned my hard
drive into 3 parts.  I have different OS versions on two of them, and on the
3rd I have reserved exclusively to file storage.
You could keep your old system on one drive, and upgrade on the other as you
get to it, and all files stored on the 3rd. Whenever one of my systems gets
corrupted badly, I can reload the OS without disturbing my stored files.
Course you can make as many partitions as you want.

tim