On 8/30/2017 9:03 PM, John Hyde wrote:
> Hi:
>   I’m running Finale 25.4.0.155 on a MacBook Pro  running Sierra 10.12.6
>
> Upon upgrading I had more that the usual trouble getting the software to
> see the keyboard but I can kluge around it by opening the file ,them
> closing it and restarting the computer.
>
>       What’s driving me crazy is that on playback the volume will drop down
> until it is practically or in some cases actually inaudible. I am currently
> working in a piece for pipe organ, tenor sax and electric guitar.
> Sometimes the horn and the guitar come through fine but part or all of the
> organ disappears. At the moment the organ and the sax are coming through
> fine but the guitar is gone. This is particularly irritating since I am
> also the guitarist.
>
>     The volume drop problem goes back at least as far as 2010 when I was
> working on an old power book.
>        Having the problem to the extremity of “ disappearing audio  parts”
> me be as recent as my last system upgrade.
>
>       Any thoughts?
>       Thanks,
>            John Hyde

Am I correct in assuming that all other audio from other programs works
just fine with no dropouts or fading?

I'm confused by your comment about "At the moment the organ and the sax
are coming through but the guitar is gone.  This is particularly
irritating since I am also the guitarist."  Does that mean you have
recorded the guitar part as audio instead of using notation?  Or are you
just frustrated because you can't hear the part you're supposed to
eventually play once the piece is finished?

In any event, the first thing I would check would be your use of
expressions.  Does the disappearing audio happen at the same place in a
score every time you play it back?  Is there an expression at that
point?  Might it be one that you created by taking an existing
expression and copying it and then editing the appearance of it but
forgetting to also edit the playback effect it might have?

If the places where the audio disappears varies from playback to
playback of the same score then I don't have any suggestion.  If it's
always in the same spot then it's something in the score.

Did you enter the parts using a midi controller and hyperscribe?

The next place I'd check would be your Human Playback preferences.  Do
you get the audio drop-outs if you have HP set to none?

In the Preferences dialog is a panel for Human Playback where you can
select whether or not Finale incorporates the recorded MIDI data.  The
default, at least in the Windows version, is to have Human Playback
ignore the recorded MIDI data for Continuous Data, Velociy, Start/Stop
Time, Tempo.  If any of those have been changed to "Incorporate Data"
then try changing those.

I hope others chime with advice -- this can be such a frustrating problem!

Good luck!

--
*****
David H. Bailey