I had to do /sw/bin/dpkg otherwise I got dpkg: command not found.

However, using /sw/bin/dpkg I was able to list the contents and indeed
there is /sw/bin/pidgin, and I could run it.

However there is a font issue (see below) and the display is illegible.

$ /sw/bin/pidgin
Couldn't create plugins dir

(Pidgin:1335): Pango-CRITICAL **: No modules found:
No builtin or dynamically loaded modules were found.
PangoFc will not work correctly.
This probably means there was an error in the creation of:
  '/sw/lib/pango-ft219/etc/pango/pango.modules'
You should create this file by running:
  pango-querymodules > '/sw/lib/pango-ft219/etc/pango/pango.modules'

(Pidgin:1335): Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font, expect ugly
output. engine-type='PangoRenderFc', script='latin'

(Pidgin:1335): Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font, expect ugly
output. engine-type='PangoRenderFc', script='common'

--
Daniel Harkness
dan.harkn...@gmail.com