> On Dec 10, 2015, at 08:34, Dan Harkness <dan.harkn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I had to do /sw/bin/dpkg otherwise I got dpkg: command not found.

That indicates that you haven’t set up Fink’s environment (/sw/bin/pathsetup.sh
to do that).

> However, using /sw/bin/dpkg I was able to list the contents and indeed there
> is /sw/bin/pidgin, and I could run it.
>
> However there is a font issue (see below) and the display is illegible.
>
> $ /sw/bin/pidgin
> Couldn't create plugins dir
>
> (Pidgin:1335): Pango-CRITICAL **: No modules found:
> No builtin or dynamically loaded modules were found.
> PangoFc will not work correctly.
> This probably means there was an error in the creation of:
>   '/sw/lib/pango-ft219/etc/pango/pango.modules'
> You should create this file by running:
>   pango-querymodules > '/sw/lib/pango-ft219/etc/pango/pango.modules'
>
> (Pidgin:1335): Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font, expect ugly output.
> engine-type='PangoRenderFc', script='latin'
>
> (Pidgin:1335): Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font, expect ugly output.
> engine-type='PangoRenderFc', script=‘common'

Try “fink install pango1-xft2-ft219”.  That’s what provides pango.modules .
Please let us know if that solves the font problem.

This appears to be a missing runtime dependency.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison