> On Apr 19, 2017, at 08:20, Robert T Wyatt <chupacerv...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Robert Cheng wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Recently I upgraded the mac to 10.12.3. I have since tried to do a "fink
>> selfupdate" not failed, I am not sure if the two are related
>>
>> bash-3.2$ fink
>> Fink 0.41.1
>> bash-3.2$ fink selfupdate
>> Before changing your selfupdate method to 'rsync', you must install
>> the Xcode Command Line Tools package from
>> http://developer.apple.com <http://developer.apple.com/> (after free
>> registration),
>> or via the Downloads tab of the Xcode Preferences.
>> Failed: Selfupdate method 'rsync' cannot be used
>> bash-3.2$
>>
>> I have also upgraded Xcode to the latest version but fink did not seem to
>> recognise it. Can someone tell me whether the problem is with the Xcode or
>> rsync?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Robert
>
> Hi Robert,
>
> Pretty sure the problem is with your Xcode Command Line Tools package. You'll
> find the appropriate instructions for you OS here:
> http://finkproject.org/download/ <http://finkproject.org/download/>
>
> Under:
>
> Xcode Tools/Developer Tools
>
> To build packages from source, which Fink currently requires on supported OS
> versions, you will need to install the Developer Tools.
> Go to the Apple Developer site <http://developer.apple.com/> to download a
> newer version (and any updates) after free registration.
> Recommended Developer Tools versions by OS
> 10.9  The Command Line Tools for Mavericks - Late October 2013; optionally
> Xcode 5.0.1
> The Command Line Tools can be downloaded via the xcode-select --install
> command, Xcode's Preferences or in a separate package.
> 10.8  The Command Line Tools for Mountain Lion - October 2013 ; optionally
> Xcode 5.0.1
> The Command Line Tools can be downloaded via Xcode's Preferences or in a
> separate package.
> 10.7  The Command Line Tools for Lion - April 2013; optionally Xcode 4.6.3
> The Command Line Tools can be downloaded via Xcode's Preferences or in a
> separate package.
> 10.6  Xcode 3.2.6 (Xcode 4.2 is also available for some paid Apple developer
> accounts)
> 10.5  Xcode 3.1.4
> 10.4  Xcode 2.5
>
> Best regards,
> Robert

Eww, we need to update the Xcode versions on that.
http://www.finkproject.org/index.php?phpLang=en
<http://www.finkproject.org/index.php?phpLang=en> has more current info in the
Status section (except for a typo in 10.12 support—the command-line tools for
Xcode 8.0 are required, not those for 6.0).

Like Robert W. indicated, the Xcode app doesn’t actually provide rsync, so if
you don’t have the command-line tools you’ll have to install those to do much
of anything.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison