During the fink configure step I typed in [none] for the proxy setting.....I
wasn't sure what proxy setting I can use?

Subject: Re: [Fink-beginners] upgrading fink
From: alexanderk.han...@gmail.com
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 15:25:13 -0700
CC: fink-beginners@lists.sourceforge.net
To: piy...@hotmail.com

On Apr 26, 2016, at 14:57, Robert Cheng <piy...@hotmail.com> wrote:so after
entering the command fink install cvs which has run fine, then I enter
fink selfupdate-dvs
bash-3.2$ fink selfupdate-cvsPassword:
Please note: the simple command 'fink selfupdate' should be used for routine
updating; you only need to use a commandlike 'fink selfupdate-cvs' or 'fink
selfupdate --method=rsync' if you are changing your update method.

Fink has the capability to run the cvs commands as a normal user. That has some
advantages - it uses that user's CVSsettings files and allows the package
descriptions to be edited and updated without becoming root. Please specify
theuser login name that should be used: [piynik]
For Fink developers only: Enter your SourceForge login name to set up full CVS
access. Other users, just press return toset up anonymous read-only access.
[anonymous]
Checking to see if we can use hard links to merge the existing tree. Please
ignore errors on the next few lines.Now logging into the CVS server. When CVS
asks you for a password, just press return (i.e. the password is
empty)./usr/bin/su piynik -c 'cvs
-d":pserver:anonym...@fink.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/fink" login'Logging in
to :pserver:anonym...@fink.cvs.sourceforge.net:2401/cvsroot/finkCVS password:
cvs [login aborted]: connect to fink.cvs.sourceforge.net(216.34.181.112):2401
failed: Operation timed out### execution of /usr/bin/su failed, exit code
1Failed: Logging into the CVS server for anonymous read-only access
failed.bash-3.2$

It doesn’t look like you ran “fink configure” to set up your proxy, so your
firewall isn’t permitting CVS to work.
—akh