At 22:30 Uhr +0000 13.01.2002, Finlay Dobbie wrote:
>On Sunday, January 13, 2002, at 10:21  pm, Max Horn wrote:
>
>>Apple is claiming to work towards POSIX, but so far I haven't seen
>>much on that front.
>
>They have claimed that? When? In fact, I think I've heard them claim
>quite the opposite: that they don't care about being POSIX
>compliant, just so long as they are compliant enough for the things
>they need to work (i.e. Carbon/Cocoa/Java).

Well, some Apple workers were claiming that they were trying to
become more POSIX compliant if where they can do so easily, but that
it's a fairly low priority. Given the fact that the programmers
working on OS X are extremly reluctant to make any changes, even to
broken things, unless they really have to (seems the internal clima
isn't very well currentyl...), I think the chances of seeing much
here is pretty slim. This extends to such simple changes as getting
rid of the need to #include <sys/types.h>, which would only require
changing a few other sys/*.h files. Oh well.

Max