On Sunday, January 13, 2002, at 10:47  pm, Gordon Messmer wrote:

>> Apple is claiming to work towards POSIX, but so far I haven't seen
>> much on that front. But actually, I'd prefer if they would finally
>> fixing some of the really bad errors and shortcomings in the Unix
>> part of OS X (like pthreads or mkdir()).
>
> Yeah, how the hell did those go wrong?  It's not like they didn't have
> working implimentations to adapt.

Go wrong? More a case of they were never implemented correctly. Apple's
implementation of things like mkdir() came from NeXT which came from BSD
circa 1989 in most cases. There is work going on to synch stuff up, but
it's slow going. In the case of pthreads, the "working implementations'
aren't much use, since it requires kernel-level features that are
specific to the Darwin kernel and its architecture, etc. It's not as
easy as it might sound. pthread_kill() requires per-thread signal
delivery in the kernel, which requires involvement in high-risk code
that few people are familiar with, and knowledge of how everything works
and why it works like it does. There are few people that can do this
type of thing, they are all at Apple, and they have lots of other things
to work on.

  -- Finlay