Let me mention one difference between debian and fink.

Right now, the debian distribution is divided into free, contrib, non-free
sections.  We haven't made this division formally in fink, but it is only
the *free* portion that we will provide binaries for.  The "unstable"
part of fink is just that -- relatively new and untested -- and even
among stable packages there are many which would not fall into debian's
"main" (="free") distribution.

That being said, we have only been providing binaries at all for a few
months, and we have not yet mastered the