>> If you can SSH then why not just set CVS_RSH to ssh and use that?
>> I'm guessing he can't ssh.

Max> Exactly. Web, Email, FTP, that's it.

If the corp Web proxy supports https, you can use ssh through it at
full speeds, although possibly requiring a slight assist from an
outside box under your control and a small, say, 30-line Perl program
on the inside, depending on what brand of proxy it is.

I won't tell you how I know, but perhaps the phrase

  "CONNECT ssh.sourceforge.net:22 HTTP/1.0\n\n"

might be of assistance.

Firewall admins who set up https-savvy web proxies but then forbid
outbound ssh are really just delaying the inevitable.  It's Just
As Secure, People!