Hi Folks,

        I'm slowly catching on to all this, but I still have a problem.
I've managed to get vpython (www.vpython.org) 99% working on darwin, and
I've even managed to create a .info file that successfully installs it
with fink. That's the good news.. the bad news is that I'm getting
exceptions under certain circumstances when c++ wrapper objects call
functions of a plain "c" library using a shared data structure. I'm
guessing that the problem is due to differences in assumptions that c
and c++ are making about the contents/size/type of this shared data.
Unfortunately I'm not the original author of either library, so I'm not
really sure exactly what might be causing this. I was hoping that maybe
someone on this list, who might have ported other software under darwin
might immediately recognize these symptoms and suggest some obscure
compiler/linker option that might be required on darwin to ensure
successful interoperation of c/c++ code on darwin.

The only thing I've really changed at this point is the makefile. Here
is what I'm using now to compile a typical c++ file:

c++ -g -I. -I./CXX/Include -I/sw/include/python2.2
-I/sw/include/python2.2/Numeric -I/sw/include/gtk-1.2
-I/sw/include/glib-1.2 -I/sw/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include
-I/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Headers
-I/sw/include/glib-1.2 -I/sw/include   -c -o sphere.o sphere.cpp

Here is the final "link" step that produces a bundle:

c++ -L/sw/lib -bundle -flat_namespace -undefined suppress -L/sw/lib
-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -lgmodule -lgthread -lglib -lpthread -ldl
-lintl -lXext -lX11 -lm -lGL -lgtkgl -o cvisualmodule.so arrow.o
arrprim.o box.o color.o cone.o convex.o curve.o cvisual.o cylinder.o
display.o displaylist.o faceset.o frame.o gldevice.o kbobject.o light.o
label.o mouseobject.o platlinux.o prim.o pvector.o rate.o ring.o
sphere.o tmatrix.o vcache.o xgl.o ./CXX/Src/cxx_extensions.o
./CXX/Src/cxxsupport.o ./CXX/Src/cxxextensions.o

The c++ objects are using Paul Dubois' CXX extensions to talk to Numeric
(a "c" module) array objects.

Any help would be appreciated!

thanks!
-steve